This program seeks to strengthen international partnerships and consolidate emerging networks among academic researchers from Canada and Latin America and the Caribbean. These partnerships and networks will serve the development process in one or more IDRC thematic areas of priority.
IDRC and AUCC are committed to fostering better understanding and familiarity among researchers and among their institutions throughout the Americas and to facilitating the creation of a stronger sense of regional community. These initiatives are seen as concrete contributions to the inclusion of research cooperation, as well as international development, in the current discussions on greater hemispheric integration.
The Centre supports research under four broad thematic priorities:
• Environment and Natural Resource Management (ENRM)
• Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D)
• Innovation, Policy and Science (IPS)
• Social and Economic Policy (SEP)
Eligibility: Applications can be submitted by the Canadian, Latin American or Caribbean research partner. Applications that do not meet the following criteria will not be forwarded to the committee.
• In order to be eligible for a grant, Canadian applicants/ partners must meet the following criteria:
- Regular, full-time faculty member at a Canadian university which is a member of AUCC; or
- Regular, full-time researcher at a recognized Canadian research institute; or
- Full-time graduate student at a Canadian university which is a member of AUCC; or
- Full-time graduate student at a recognized Canadian research institute.
• In order to be eligible for a grant, Latin American and Caribbean applicants/ partners must meet the following criteria:
- Regular, full-time faculty member in a recognized and established institution of higher education in one of the eligible LAC countries; or
- Regular, full-time researcher at a recognized and established research institute in one of the LAC eligible countries; or
- Full-time graduate student at a recognized institution of higher education in one of the LAC eligible countries; or - Full-time graduate student at a recognized research institute in one of the LAC eligible countries.
• The LACREG program applies to collaborative research between researchers from Canada and the following LAC countries:
Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba,Dominican Republic, Ecuador,
El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay
Value: • The maximum that can be requested from the program is CDN $15,000.
Deadline: A hard copy or electronic copy of the application (complete with signatures) must reach AUCC by no later than Monday, January 18, 2010 (4 p.m. EST). The application must include all the components outlined in Section 5.0 of these guidelines.